Parish Council Web Site
Welcome to the website for Downton Parish Council. On this site you will be able to find information about the activities and work of the Parish Council. The Parish Council is the first tier of Local Government. The next tier of Government after Downton is the unitary authority of Wiltshire Council.
The civil parish of Downton straddles the Avon valley about 7 miles south of Salisbury and has a population of nearly 3,000. The Parish Council represents the villages of Downton and Charlton All Saints and the hamlet of Standlynch. For information on other events and activities in Downton, please visit the Downton village website, Downton Society website or have a look at our Local Information or Links pages.
Downton Parish Council is responsible for the following facilities in Downton:
- Playgrounds at the Memorial Gardens, the Moot Lane Recreation Ground, the Charlton All Saints Playground and the new playground at Wick Lane.
- Downton Memorial Centre which is primarily managed by a separate Management Committee
- Downton Cemetery in Barford Lane
- Allotments which are managed by the Downton Allotment and Leisure Gardeners Association
- Areas of public open space such as The Borough Greens
- The public toilets beside the Memorial Gardens.
- The minor repair and cleaning of some Bus Shelters and the emptying of defined litter bins.
All of these are shown on the Parish Map.
The Parish Council also looks after the interests of the parish where empowered to do so, bringing any other needs of the parish to the attention of the relevant authority. It also responds to consultation documents and requests from a diverse range of other bodies and authorities.
To find out more about us and what we do, please explore our website. The majority of the files on the web site are in the Adobe Reader PDF format. You will need to download the Adobe Reader to view them.
We would also welcome any feedback you may have. If you cannot find what you are looking for, please contact the Clerk.