Welcome to the website for Downton Parish Council. On this site you will be able to find information about the activities and work of the Parish Council. The Parish Council is the first tier of Local Government. The next tier of Government after Downton is the unitary authority of Wiltshire Council.
The civil parish of Downton straddles the Avon valley about 7 miles south of Salisbury and has a population of nearly 3,000. The Parish Council represents the villages of Downton and Charlton All Saints and the hamlet of Standlynch. For information on all other events and activities in Downton, please visit the Downton Village website or the Downton Society website.
From our website you will be able to find out about the dates of our meetings and read copies of our agendas, minutes and policies.
Downton Parish Council is responsible for the following facilities in Downton:
- Playgrounds at the Memorial Gardens, the Moot Lane Recreation Ground, the Charlton All Saints Playground and the new playground at Wick Lane.
- Downton Memorial Hall which is managed by a separate Management Committee
- Downton Cemetery in Barford Lane
- Allotments which are managed by the Downton Allotment and Leisure Gardeners Association
- Areas of public open space such as The Borough Greens
- The minor repair and cleaning of Bus Shelters and the emptying of defined litter bins. Both of these are shown on the Parish Map.
The Parish Council also looks after the interests of the parish where empowered to do so, bringing any other needs of the parish to the attention of the relevant authority. It also responds to consultation documents and requests from a diverse range of other bodies and authorities.
Each year Downton Parish Council calculates how much money it requires to provide its services or achieve any planned projects. This sum, called the precept, is collected by Wiltshire Council as part of a household’s council tax. Downton Parish Council does not receive any money from central government or Wiltshire Council, nor does it receive any financial support from local business rates which are collected by Wiltshire Council.
For 2015/16 the precept is £48.61 for Band Properties. For 2014/15 the precept was £46.58 and for 2013/14 the precept was £38.98.
To find out more about us and what we do, please explore our website. The majority of the files on the web site are in the Adobe Reader PDF format. You will need to download the Adobe Reader to view them.
We would also welcome any feedback you may have. If you cannot find what you are looking for, please contact the Clerk.